Wednesday, December 5, 2007

7 and 1/2 Habits Easy/Hard...

We've been asked to write on which of these habits are easiest and hardest for us. I'm finding that answering this question is rather difficult; it really depends on what I'm trying to learn. Different situations present different opportunities and difficulties.

But to generalize, I suppose habit one might be the most difficult I routinely encounter. The example in the exercise was pertinent, because I don't remember in my schooling ever thinking that I would become fluent in Spanish. That goal was never set, and as a result - I know a lot of words but can't put a sentence together! However, everything you set out to learn needn't have a goal. I recently took a gas welding course at the Brookfield Craft Center with Michael Rivera (who recently had an exhibit at the Quick Center). He was a very good instructor who gave us all we would need to get going. When we started the course, he asked each person why they were here, and what they hoped to get out of the course. I didn't really have a clear aim, I just had never been exposed to this technology before and wanted to get a feel for what it could do. Since then, my mind has been coming up with all sorts of things. I might now set some more concrete goals....

The easiest for me might be using technology to help out. I love gadgets. I love to tinker with electronics. However, this can be expensive! I'd love an iPhone, but I'm not going to be getting one in the near future. I'd love a digital movie camera, but my old Sony Hi8 has a few more years left in it. Getting a set-up to have my iPod (thanks Roxann!) play in the car - at some point I'll have to take out the toolkit and rip out the radio on the truck. Software, especially all the new web applications like those Google is providing are real time-savers. I REALLY recommend Google Notebook!
BTW. First week of this course I weighed 175 1/2. Today I weighed 173. Rice cakes and figs for lunch.... I'll soon make a side-bar to track my great personal make-over.

1 comment:

Ramona said...

I'm rooting for you, Peter! I can report that the more often you go to the gym/workout, the easier it gets. Boot Camp nearly killed me the first time, but the second time, it was fun during the moments I could breathe.