Tuesday, December 11, 2007

TechnoBlog (#7)

First of all, if anyone is using the combination of Gmail, Mac, and the Firebug add-on for Firefox, you might want to uninstall firebug. It causes the browser to crash whenever you leave the Gmail page.

Second of all, my weight was down to 170.5 lbs. this morning.

O.K., now to talk about my current interests in technology. There are a few things interesting to me right now.
The first is diskless computers. I bought another MacBook laptop at a bargain price from KeithCo this week. The hard drive had failed on the machine, so I plan to replace it. Last night I put in 2 megabytes of memory to replace the 1 gig installed, and managed to boot the machine under several linux "live" cd's. Perfectly functional for browsing the web, or using OpenOffice. All without a hard drive. If I added a usb pen drive, I could save my work too. What's the point? Nothing to corrupt! No hard drive to crash. Linutop is marketing a small footprint linux-based system in Europe which boots from a usb drive and has no fans, no hard-drive. It is silent and small. I can think of more than one application for such a device! Especially for certain relatives and friends who tend to trash their computers on a weekly basis.
The next thing that I'm interested in is the Basic Stamp module. Although my father was an electrical engineer (maybe because he was an electrical engineer), I've never had much interest in "hobby" electronics. Now I'm having fun programming lights to blink, motors to turn, and sounds to play. I'm not very far into learning about this stuff, but it has really opened up a whole world of ideas that would have never occured to me before. Suddenly, those stupid $7.00 dogs in CVS that wag their tails, bob their heads, and sing Elvis Christmas carols are viewed in a whole different light. Mainly, as a cheap source of servos.

No comments: