Thursday, December 13, 2007

Flickr Mashups

Well, this didn't really excite me too much. The mashups which included mapping software were the most inspiring. I can see using them again. However, most of the mashups I found were pretty lame.
There is a mashup called "AlphaLearnr" whose aim is to teach children the alphabet through pictures. Think "A is for Apple". I thought it was a good idea, and could be expanded upon to teach foreign language words, or perhaps to quiz on any subject that can be presented visually. The actual implementation stills falls a little short. Instead of "Apple" when I landed on the site and clicked on "A" I got "Airbus". That seemed a bit of an abstraction for a child just learning the alphabet. You can change the search by replacing what falls after the "=" in the url, but they could have had an interface that allowed you to set the search for the picture-set which will represent the letter.

2 comments:

hari said...

Hi, Thanks for the feedback on alphalearnr, will add the search with letter feature.

Chris Dunham said...

While it isn't electronic, I love the book, _A Is for Salad_, which can certainly confuse children trying to learnt he alphabet! The secret? Each animal pictured starts with the letter in question, regardless of what the text says. -Chris