Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Bloglines

I've had a bloglines account for several years, but I have to admit that I don't use it much (again, I had to have them send me my password!). Ever since iGoogle came around, I've been using Google Reader instead. iGoogle places my RSS feeds right on my homepage, so I don't have to log into another service to get to them.
I find that, for me, keeping up with too many blogs and feeds of blogs is incredibly counter-productive. I did it for a while, when I first signed up with bloglines, but the mystique quickly wore off. I'm not really worried about missing out on stuff. There used to be a guy (maybe there still is) who worked for Borland, who had a column (before blogs) called "a sip from the firehose". I love that name. All this information can blow your head off. As a librarian, I would rather pursue what I need, when I need it. Maybe that is too "old-fashioned", but a steady stream of disparate information as collected by masses of other people with wide interests, doesn't work for me.
Once every week or so, I'll do a little general scanning of the Google reader stuff that has come in. If there's something there that looks interesting, I'll read it. But I have to say that, even though I've made choices for feeds of things directly related to my job or interests, 95% of the stuff that rolls by is useless babble. And 5% of a gazillion is still too much.
Does it do me a lot of good to know that Apple has an eBook reader in the pipeline? Intel to talk Silverthorne this week? OCLC and ALISE announce 2008 Research Grant Award recipients? The new robotic arm Dean Kamen's DEKKA group is working on?
ENOUGH ALREADY!
Even though I know you are supposed to let this stuff flow over you and pick out the real important stuff - it all seems important and interesting. A robot arm from the guy that invented the Segway? You bet I want to read about that. An eBook reader from the company that brought us the iPod - you bet I want to read that too. And this stuff is endless. How much real work does Stephan Abrams get done?
Rant over and out.

No comments: